Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Get in the Holiday Spirit, Winter Village at Curtis Hixon Park Opens Next Week! Love to decorate, we need your help!
Sparkman Wharf, restaurateur Dave Burton among honorees at Tampa Downtown Partnership awards
The Tampa Downtown Partnership honored local businesses, organizations and leaders that had a positive impact on downtown at its annual Urban Excellence Awards Wednesday night.
“The Urban Excellence Awards is our opportunity to say thanks to the trailblazers and champions who contribute to the vibrant future of Tampa’s Downtown,” Lynda Remund, Tampa Downtown Partnership CEO said.
2019 winners are:
- Activating Public Spaces Award: Channel District Community Alliance
- Arts & Culture Award: Straz Center for Performing Arts 2018-2019 Season, Inclusion of Hamilton & Arts Legacy Remix
- Downtown Collaboration Award: 13 Ugly Men Foundation Inc.
- Downtown Experience Award: Lizzo Freak Shake by Bake’n Babes
- Landmark Development Award: Sparkman Wharf
- Marketplace Award: Indie Flea Tampa at Armature Works
- Private Sector Award: All for Transportation
- Public Sector Award: Clean Air Fair by the Environmental Protection Commission of Hillsborough County
- People’s Choice Award: “Because of Sam The Movie” premiere at Tampa Theatre
- Christine M. Burdick Person of the Year Award: Dave Burton
Finalists were chosen through a three-step process. First, the public submitted nominations for each category. Then, each submission was considered based on the category’s criteria. Finally, a panel scored the nominations on a scale of 1-10 based on the criteria and their relation to six topics: innovation, creativity, engagement, sustainability, advancement and impact.
Entries could include Downtown Tampa or center city individuals, businesses, organizations, events or projects either public or private that:
- Were completed or accomplished during the past three years
- Made a significant contribution to downtown
- Displayed an entrepreneurial spirit or community leadership that positively contributed to downtown
- Have demonstrated a long-term commitment to downtown
Tampa reinvents itself to show off its shores
Advocates from across Hillsborough County meeting in Downtown Tampa to find safe routes to school
Walk Bike Tampa will sponsor the 2019 Safe Routes to School National Conference held at the Hilton Tampa Downtown November 12-14, 2019.
The Safe Routes to School National conference provides the opportunity for hundreds of active transportation and public health advocates and practitioners from across the country to meet for valuable networking, sharing best practices, and exploring one of Florida’s most vibrant and active cities.
“Safe walking and bicycling opportunities to and from schools in our community is a key priority for Walk Bike Tampa,” said Whit Remer, president of Walk Bike Tampa. “We share the Safe Routes to School partnership’s commitment to fostering healthy communities for all children.”
Walk Bike Tampa envisions:
• Connected sidewalk routes to schools
• Adequate bike infrastructure to protect young riders
• High emphasis crosswalks and safety signage in school zones
• A city, county, and school district commitment to supporting safe, active transportation options for children of all races, income levels, and abilities The
Walk Bike Tampa is also sponsoring the Gulf Coast Safe Streets Summit on November 14, immediately following the conference. This partnership provides a regional approach to prioritize the Complete Streets initiative throughout the local jurisdictions along the Gulf Coast of Florida.
Connect With Us!
Connect with us on social media to get the latest on downtown events!
Monday Morning Memo –Monday Morning Memo is a weekly update of “insider downtown information” regarding developments, transportation, special opportunities and other useful information to help you make the most of downtown. Subscribe to receive this weekly newsletter.
- Get in the Holiday Spirit, Winter Village at Curtis Hixon Park Opens Next Week! Love to decorate, we need your help!
- Sparkman Wharf, restaurateur Dave Burton among honorees at Tampa Downtown Partnership awards
- Tampa reinvents itself to show off its shores
- Advocates from across Hillsborough County meeting in Downtown Tampa to find safe routes to school
- Connect With Us!