Annual award ceremony celebrates initiatives that have made a positive impact on Downtown Tampa
The Tampa Downtown Partnership has announced the winners of its 2016 Urban Excellence Awards program.
The membership based not-for-profit organization’s tenth annual Urban Excellence Awards celebration recognizes those businesses, organizations, individuals, events, and projects that have made significant contributions toward creating a unique, vibrant, and diverse Downtown Tampa, and have made a positive impact on the community. More than 100 guests attended the awards ceremony on November 30 at the Rooftop of The Belk Group Building in Tampa.
- Public Sector Project Award: Cass Street Cycle Track
- Private Sector Project: Pirate Water Taxi
- Landmark Development Project: Perry Harvey Park
- Downtown Detail Award: Laura with Bun, Jaume Plensa Sculpture at Tampa Museum of Art
- Downtown Experience Award: The Beach Tampa
- Activating Spaces Award: Straz Center, Arts on the River
- Arts & Culture Award: Gasparilla International Film Festival
- Historic Preservation Award: Historic Rialto Theatre Renovation
- Juror’s Choice Award: Tampa Bay Veg Fest
- Downtown Person of the Year Award: Maryann Ferenc
- People’s Choice Award: Leadership Tampa Bay, Before I Die Wall
Christine Burdick, CEO and President of the Tampa Downtown Partnership, provided the opening and closing remarks while Brendan McLaughlin, retired ABC Television news anchor, served as the evening’s emcee presenting the awards. Representatives from the event’s sponsors, The Beck Group and TECO, an Emera Company, welcomed attendees to the ceremony while Rich Linquanti of Carlton Fields Jorden Burt, the title sponosor, defined Urban Excellence and explained its true meaning in Tampa to the group.
Jurors for the Awards:
- Rich Linquanti, Carlton Fields Jorden Burt
- Keith Greminger, Kimley-Horn & Associates, Inc.
- Susie Nelson-Crowley, RE/MAX Metro
- Kevin Plummer, Tampa Preparatory School
- Mickey Jacob, BDG Architects
All entries are considered on their merit. Entries may include Downtown Tampa or center city individuals, businesses, organizations, events, or projects (public or private) that:
- Were completed or accomplished during the past three years; and
- Made a significant contribution to Downtown; and/or
- Displayed an entrepreneurial spirit or community leadership that positively contributed to Downtown; and/or
- Have demonstrated a long-term commitment to Downtown.
About the Tampa Downtown Partnership
The Tampa Downtown Partnership (TDP) is a private, membership based not-for-profit 501(c)6 comprised of companies, organizations and individuals with a common goal of advancing Tampa’s Downtown. Through an annual contract with the City of Tampa, the TDP administers the Special Services District. In addition to Tampa’s Downtown Guides and Clean Team, the TDP serves downtown through marketing, business development, transportation, advocacy, public space activation, planning and beautification.