TAMPA (November 20, 2017) – The Tampa Downtown Partnership has announced the winners of its 2017 Urban Excellence Awards program. Winners will be recognized and receive their awards during the annual celebration on Wednesday, November 29 from 5:30pm to 6:30pm at The Vault in downtown Tampa.
“The Urban Excellence Awards event is a unique opportunity where the Tampa Downtown Partnership brings together the downtown community and stakeholders to say thank you and recognize those pioneers, trailblazers, and Downtown champions that make downtown a great place to live, work and play,” said Mickey Jacob, Chairman for the Tampa Downtown Partnership. “It’s an event I look forward to each year.”
Each year an awards jury representing a cross-section of downtown constituencies selects award winners who have made significant contributions that have made a lasting and positive impact on Downtown. Awardees are honored for their leadership, innovation, hard work, talent, and community spirit.
- Public Sector Project Award: Deputy John Kotfila, Jr. Memorial Dog Park
- Private Sector Project: The Art of the Brick
- Downtown Detail Award: The Riverwalk at Doyle Carlton Public Art Installations
- Historic Preservation Award: 100th Anniversary Burgert Brothers Historic Photo Collection
- Arts & Culture Award: Second Screen Cult Cinema
- Downtown Experience Award: NCAA Championship / Sports Commission
- Social Impact Award: I AM Priceless
- Downtown Collaboration Award: Hurricane Irma Response and Relief Operations: City of Tampa / HART / Hillsborough County / TECO
- Juror’s Choice Award: The Downtowner
Voting is open for the People’s Choice Award until November 22 and the winner will be announced at the event. All are encouraged to submit a vote.
All entries are considered on their merit. Entries may include Downtown Tampa or center city individuals, businesses, organizations, events, or projects (public or private) that:
- Were completed or accomplished during the past three years; and
- Made a significant contribution to Downtown; and/or
- Displayed an entrepreneurial spirit or community leadership that positively contributed to Downtown; and/or
- Have demonstrated a long-term commitment to Downtown.
Jurors for the Awards:
- Rich Linquanti, Carlton Fields Jorden Burt
- Keith Greminger, Kimley-Horn & Associates, Inc.
- Susie Nelson-Crowley, RE/MAX Metro
- Kevin Plummer, Tampa Preparatory School
- Mickey Jacob, BDG Architects
About the Tampa Downtown Partnership
The Tampa Downtown Partnership (TDP) is a private, membership based not-for-profit 501(c)6 comprised of companies, organizations and individuals with a common goal of advancing Tampa’s Downtown. Through an annual contract with the City of Tampa, the TDP administers the Special Services District. In addition to Tampa’s Downtown Guides and Clean Team, the TDP serves downtown through marketing, business development, transportation, advocacy, public space activation, planning and beautification.