DOWNTOWN TAMPA Florida Bike Month
Downtown Calendar for Florida Bike Month
A robust list of “Bay Area Bike Happenings.” List includes public input meetings, fun group rides and free BikeSmart classes. The full calendar is available at BikeWalkTampaBay.org.
Some of the highlights in Downtown include:
- History Bike Tampa (5 year anniversary ride!) – March 4
- Gasparilla Festival of the Arts (free bike valet) – March 3-4
- Straight Clownin with City Bike Tampa – March 7
- Free Bike Valet during the Gasparilla Music Festival – March 10-11
- Second Sunday Ride – March 11
- Blarney Ride – March 17
- Mayor’s River O’Green Ride – March 17
- Mayor’s River O’Green (free bike valet) – March 17
- Downtown’s Bike to Work Ride & Rally (see below for more details)– March 20
- Fourth Friday (First hour free for new users on Coast Bike Share) – March 23
- Urban Restaurant Tour – March 29
- Tampa Critical Mass Ride – March 30
Bike to Work Ride & Rally
New this year is a group bike ride to work on Tuesday, March 20. Choose from 7 neighborhood meet-up locations for a guided ride by experienced cyclists. All will finish at Lykes Gaslight Square for food, music information and fun. View and share the Facebook event.
Coast Bike Share Expands
Coast continues to experience about a 30 percent growth rate each year. Tampa Downtown Partnership is contributing to that growth by underwriting ten new Coast Bike Share racks to complement the 100 new bikes soon being added to the fleet. This will increase the system to 40 hubs and 400 bikes.
The #CoastChallenge will take place from Thursday, March 1 to Saturday, March 31. Encouraging new and existing members in both Tampa and St. Petersburg to hop on Coast bikes and take as many trips – lasting longer than three minutes – as they can, Coast Bike Share will track rides completed throughout the month and reward the top five users.
Bike Friendly Businesses
In 2015, Tampa Downtown Partnership created a Bicycle Friendly Business campaign to recognize leading downtown businesses embracing cycling for their employees and customers.
This effort resulted in the City of Tampa ranking number one in the State of Florida and top ten in the country with over 30 certified Downtown businesses offering special incentives for customers arriving on bike. (Tampa Downtown Partnership is the only Gold certified non-bike shop business in the state and in 2016 we won a state-wide award from the Florida Bicycle Association as the best ‘bike-friendly business’.)
Downtown Tampa’s Bicycle Fun Facts:
- The Downtown and Central City Y are both offering a $15 Commuter Membership. It includes use of lockers and showers throughout the month plus access to in-door spin classes.
- Tampa By Bike is offering $10 off their City Showcase Tours during March. Book online at www.tampabybike.com and use the promo code “March”. Minimum of 2 guests.
- The Amalie Arena offers free bike valet at all of their Lightning games.
- Le Méridian Hotel and The Barrymore Hotel offer complimentary bikes as a perk for their hotel guests.
- Tampa’s Downtown Guides assist with minor bike repairs. They are just a phone call away at 813.267.2220.
- Tampa Downtown Partnership has added over 250 bike parking medallions on meter posts, free-standing racks and four self-repair stations (on Tampa Riverwalk near The Sail, Laurel Street,HART’s Marion Transit Center and the Dept. Kopfila Memorial dog park).
- All HART buses have bike racks at the front of each vehicle.
- In 2016, the City of Tampa was nationally recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community.
- Tampa is #1 in Florida and Top 10 nationally for number of certified Bicycle Friendly Businesses.
- Tampa was ranked one of the Top 50 Best Biking Cities by Bicycling Magazine.
- PeopleForBikes named the Cass St. Green Spine separated path among the 10 best new bike lanes in the nation.
View more information about biking and walking in Tampa’s Downtown.