DOWNTOWN TAMPA Bike Month
Downtown Calendar for National Bike Month
A robust list of “Bay Area Bike Happenings.” List includes public input meetings, fun group rides and free BikeSmart classes. The full calendar is available at BikeWalkTampaBay.org.
Some of the highlights in Downtown include:
- Downtown’s Bike to Work Ride & Rally – May 18
- Safe Cycling Class – May 3
- History Bike Tampa – May 5
- Riverfront Rock (free bike valet) – May 12-13
- Park It Coast Ride – May 12
- Second Sunday Ride – May 12
- Ride of Silence – May 16
- Fourth Friday (First hour free for new users on Coast Bike Share) – May 25
- Urban Restaurant Tour – May 24
- Tampa Critical Mass Ride – May 25
Bike to Work Ride & Rally
New this year is a group bike ride to work on Friday, May 18. Choose from 7 neighborhood meet-up locations for a guided ride by experienced cyclists. All will finish at Lykes Gaslight Square for food, music information and fun. View and share the Facebook event.
Coast Bike Share Expands
Coast continues to experience about a 30 percent growth rate each year. Tampa Downtown Partnership is contributing to that growth by underwriting ten new Coast Bike Share racks to complement the 100 new bikes soon being added to the fleet. This will increase the system to 40 hubs and 400 bikes.
Bike Friendly Businesses
In 2015, Tampa Downtown Partnership created a Bicycle Friendly Business campaign to recognize leading downtown businesses embracing cycling for their employees and customers.
This effort resulted in the City of Tampa ranking number one in the State of Florida and top ten in the country with over 30 certified Downtown businesses offering special incentives for customers arriving on bike. (Tampa Downtown Partnership is the only Gold certified non-bike shop business in the state and in 2016 we won a state-wide award from the Florida Bicycle Association as the best ‘bike-friendly business’.)
Downtown Tampa’s Bicycle Fun Facts:
- The Downtown and Central City Y are both offering a $15 Commuter Membership. It includes use of lockers and showers throughout the month plus access to in-door spin classes.
- Tampa By Bike is offering $10 off their City Showcase Tours during March. Book online at www.tampabybike.com and use the promo code “March”. Minimum of 2 guests.
- The Amalie Arena offers free bike valet at all of their Lightning games.
- Le Méridian Hotel and The Barrymore Hotel offer complimentary bikes as a perk for their hotel guests.
- Tampa’s Downtown Guides assist with minor bike repairs. They are just a phone call away at 813.267.2220.
- Tampa Downtown Partnership has added over 250 bike parking medallions on meter posts, free-standing racks and four self-repair stations (on Tampa Riverwalk near The Sail, Laurel Street,HART’s Marion Transit Center and the Dept. Kopfila Memorial dog park).
- All HART buses have bike racks at the front of each vehicle.
- In 2016, the City of Tampa was nationally recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community.
- Tampa is #1 in Florida and Top 10 nationally for number of certified Bicycle Friendly Businesses.
- Tampa was ranked one of the Top 50 Best Biking Cities by Bicycling Magazine.
- PeopleForBikes named the Cass St. Green Spine separated path among the 10 best new bike lanes in the nation.
View more information about biking and walking in Tampa’s Downtown.